The Department of Zoology, established in 1957, was affiliated to the University of Kerala. M.Sc. course was introduced in 1969 with specialisation in Entomology. The department was approved as a recognised research centre in 1974 under the University of Calicut. Presently, the department is enriched with a full – fledged Research Laboratory, and members of the faculty are actively involved in research pursuits and the results are published in national & international journals. The following faculty served as the Head of the Department: Late Prof. T.C. Narayana Menon, Late Prof. Viswanthan, Dr. Thobias P. Maliekal, Prof. C. Ravindranatha Menon, Prof. M.T. Joy, Prof. K.T. George and Dr. Joseph Louis Olakkengil. Among the staff members of the Department, Dr. C.C. John & Dr. Joseph Louis Olakkengil had also served as Vice principals of College. Dr. C.D. Antony, Late Dr. P.C. Chandy, Dr. A.D. Antony, Late Fr. George Elamkunnapuzha, Prof. Anto Akkara, Prof. T.G. Jose and Dr. P.T.C. Ponnachan and Late Prof. P.L. Yesudasan were members of the Faculty. The former head of the Department; Dr. Joseph Louis Olakkengil was recipient of Prof. M.M. Ghani Award in 2004 for the ‘Best Teacher’ instituted by the University of Calicut for the college teachers. The department offers Certificate course in Freshwater Ornamental Fish Culture for UG students.
DEPARTMENT OF ZOOLOGY
Get in touch with Us!
St. Thomas' College (Autonomous) Thrissur - 680 001, Kerala, India