Department of Physics was started in 1922 within three years of the establishment of the College. Prof. S. Rama Iyer was the Head of the Department from 1922 to 1950. In 1951 B. A. Degree in Physics (later on changed to B.Sc.) was started with affiliation to Madras University. Rev. Fr. Joseph Kallingal, who was the Head of the Department from 1950 to 1960 was also the Principal of the College for the same period. In 1961 M.Sc. Physics (of Kerala University) was started which was a rare and dear course in those days (one among four colleges in Kerala then). It was with the guidance and vast experience of Prof. V.S. Ramanujam—retired Professor from Presidency College, Madras—that the P.G. course was nurtured into its full bloom. In the Science and Arts Exhibition held in connection with the Golden Jubilee of the College in 1969, the Department installed a radio station with the name “Voice of St. Thomas”, which was available within a radius of 8 kilometres. The programme was organized and monitored by Rev. Fr. Abraham Vadassery M.Sc. (Detroit) who was also the Head of the Department from 1960-’70. From 1970 to 1981 the Department was led by Prof. K.S. Seetharaman. From 1981 to 1985 Rev. Fr. Nicholas Anthikkad was the Head of the Department who was also the Principal of the College between 1971 and 1978. He was followed by Professors M.K. Menon,T.K. Natarajan, T.K. Devanarayanan, K.J. Chacko, M.C. Jose and M.K. Padmanabhan who was also a member of the Senate, University of Calicut, P.P. George, U.A. Raphel, C.J. Babu, K.M. Paul, K.T. Varghese, C.K. Xavier and C. A. Inasu. The Eminent scientist E.C.G. Sudarshan visited the department twice. Prof. P.C. Thomas and Prof. Jayaram N.R., the pioneers of entrance coaching for professional courses were also the members of the faculty. Mr. Kochouseph Chitillapilly, CEO of V-Guard group and L. Kuriakose, Retd. Income Tax Commissioner, were our old students. The Department has a very good “Home Library” and a well-equipped laboratory with independent computer & internet facilities. We have a UGC aided workshop. ISRO chairman Dr. K Radhakrishnan was the chief guest of the celebration of Golden Jubilee of MSc Physics & Diamond Jubilee of BSc Physics on 27 .07. 2010.The department offers Certificate course in Nano Science & Technology for UG students.
1. Rev. Fr. Joseph Kallingal Prize instituted by Old Boys Association for the best student
who joins the B.Sc. Physics. (200)
2. Prof. V. S. Ramanujan Prize for the II M.Sc. Physics student who gets the highest marks in the M.Sc. previous. (200)
3. Rev. Fr. Abraham Vadassery Prize for the best student in M.Sc. previous Physics from St.Thomas’ College according to the B.Sc. Rank. (200)
4. Baboo Konikkara Memorial Prize for the first in III B.Sc. Physics (Main and subsidiaries together). (1500)
5. Baboo Konikkara Memorial Prize for the second in III B.Sc. Physics (Main and subsidiaries together). (900)
6. Baboo Konikkara Memorial Prize for the First in II B.Sc. Physics. (300)
7. Sri P. P. George Endowment Prize for the first in M.Sc. Physics. (600)
8. Sri M. K. Padmanabhan Endowment for the Second in M.Sc. Physics, considering the academic excellence in all the semesters taken together. (500)
9. Sri U. A. Raphael Endowment for the best out-going boy of B.Sc. Physics, considering the academic excellence in all the three years taken together, including the sub. (250)
10. Sri C. J. Babu Endowment for the son/daughter of the non-teaching staff, both aided and self-financing sections, of St. Thomas’ College, Thrissur, who scores highest marks in Plus Two Course (Kerala, CBSE, ICSE etc.) (400)
11. Sri C. J. Babu Endowment for the best student of B Sc first year of the Subsidiary Physics. (400)
12. Sri C. J. Babu Endowment for the best student of B.Sc second year Subsidiary Physics.(400)
13. Baboo Konikkara Memorial prize for the second in II B.Sc Physics (Main & sub together) (400)
14. Mrs. Thressia Davis Chiramel, Endowment instituted by Sri. Anto Davis C. for the best student of M.Sc. (Phy) 3rd Semester. (500)
15. Sri. Davis Chiramel Endowment instituted by Sri. Anto Davis C. for the best student of M.Sc. (Phy) 1st Semester. (500)
16. Prof. C. J. Babu endowment for the best outgoing student of B.Sc. final year who is admitted in the reservation merit. (400)
17. Prof. Seetharaman Memorial prize for the first B.Sc considering main and sub. (200) 18. Prof. M. K. Menon prize for the second in first B.Sc. considering main and sub. (200)
19. Prof. Seetharaman Memorial Endowment Lecture instituted by Prof. T. R. Viswanathan (Texas University), to be conducted every year by the interest of Rs. 7,41,180/- (Rupees Seven Lakhs Forty one Thousand One Hundred and Eighty only) dated 28.03.2016. It has been enhanced with Rs. 6,64,200/- dated 23-06-2017. Further added Rs. 6,25,833/- on 20-04-2018. Further added Rs. 7,12,800/- on 28-02-2019.
20. Rev. Fr. Nicholas Anthikad memorial Endowment instituted by his family members for distributing SEED money every year for the research scholars who do not avail any other Govt. / UGC fellowship by the interest of Rs. 3,72,119/- dated 25-08-2016.