The Degree Course in Commerce was started in 1957, affiliated to the University of Kerala. The Post Graduate course in Commerce, affiliated to the University of Calicut, was started in 1968. The Department was fortunate to start the Tourism and Travel Management as a vocational Degree course under the UGC Scheme in 1994. Later in the year 1999, the course was regularized by the University of Calicut.
B.Com with Travel and Tourism as elective course was changed to Banking and Insurance specialisation in 2007. The Department has been celebrating the World Tourism Day as Tourofest, since 1996. Members also extend their valuable services by engaging classes to aspirants of UGC JRF (NET), MBA etc. The Department reveals its enthusiasm in the academia with regular publications. In 2007, the Department celebrated its Golden Jubilee and as a memorial of this, the Department launched a full fledged computer lab with the support of alumni. The Department is regularly hosting academic-oriented programs to equip and nurture the students. The Department has been elevated as a Research Centre for Commerce in June 2013 by the University of Calicut. It offers Ph.D in Commerce, under the guideship of Dr. Thomas Paul Kattookaran. Three part-time and three full time research scholars are pursuing their research for Ph.D. The department organized five National Seminars sponsored by UGC . In August 2015 the department organized, UGC sponsored National Seminar on “Financial services, Innovations for inclusion in India” During January 2016, the department organized an International Conference on Humanities and Social Sciences (ICHUSS-1) with the participation of delegates from several nations including Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippians, Turkey etc. Brilliant UG and PG students are placed in banks and other financial institutions regularly.
The prominent alumni of the department include eminent professors and professionals in the fields of Chartered Accountancy, Cost and Management Accountancy, Company Secretary, Banking, Insurance and Financial Services.The department offers Certificate course in Entrepreneurship Development Programme for UG and Certificate course in Tourism & Travel Management for PG students.
Programs / Courses Offered
B.Com (BANKING and INSURANCE)
M.Com (FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT)
1. College of Commerce Prize for the best B.Com. student
2. M/s. Elite Fabrics Scholarship for poor student of M.Com.
3. Sreelan P. Memorial cash award for the first in B.Com. English University Exam.
4. Hon. Minister (late) Mathai Manjooran Memorial Scholarship sponsored by the Mathai Manjooran Jeeva Charitra Rachana Committee for the student who secures highest mark in I and II year University Examinations of B.A. ( Economics, History & English) and B.Com. students in alternate years.
5. Prof. C. P. Davis Endowment for the best deserving student from M.Com. Degree course.
6. Dr. P. O. George Endowment for the best male singer and the best female singer of the college.
7. Mr. Paul Davis Thottan Endowment for the topper in M.Com.
Endowments instituted by the Department of Commerce
1. Prof. O. K. George Memorial Endowment for the topper in Managerial Economics.
2. Adv. C. D. Varghese Memorial Endowment for the topper in Business Regulations.
3. Prof. A. J. Varghese Endowment for the topper in Financial Accounting.
4. Prof. K. C. Shekar Endowment for the topper in Banking and Insurance.
5. Prof. Mathew K. Koola Endowment for the topper in Income Tax for B.Com.
6. Prof. L. D. George Endowment for the topper in Business Management.
7. Prof. Thomas Maliakkal Endowment for the topper in Income Tax for M.Com.
8. Rev. Fr. Paul Chittilappilly sacerdotal Silver Jubilee Endowment for the topper in Quantitative Techniques.
9. Prof. C. P. Davis Endowment for the deserving student of M.Com.
10. Prof. A. M. Francis Endowment for the topper in Accounting for Management.
11. Prof. K. C. James Endowment for the topper in International Business.
12. Dr. V. M. Xaviour Endowment for the topper in Entrepreneurial Development and Project Management.
13. Prof. Thomas Varghese P. Endowment for the topper in Marketing Management.
14. Dr. V. A Sonny Endowment for the top scorer in B. Com. Human Resource Management.
15. Prof. M. P. Paulson Endowment for the top scorer in the M. Com. Subject Business Environment.
16. Dr. P. O. George Endowment for the top scorer in Advanced Corporate Accounting of M.Com.
17. Dr. C. K. Francis Endowment for the top scorer in Financial Management of M.Com. 18. Adv. Jockin A. Pereira Endowment for the top scorer in Corporate Regulations.