The Department of Botany was started with the introduction of first batch of Natural Science in the Intermediate, in 1951. In 1956 Pre-University course was begun. In 1958 three year Degree course in Botany was started. In the Golden Jubilee year 1968, M.Sc. Botany was started with specialization in Plant Physiology. The sincere services rendered by Dr. K. R. Venkatasubhan, who retired from Christian College Thambaram, to build up the Post- Graduate course in Botany along with other eminent Professors should be gratefully remembered. The following staff members had served as heads of the department of Botany :- Prof. C.K. Devassy (1958-61), Prof. P.J. Abraham (1961-85), Prof. E.D. Varghese (1985-91), Prof. K.P. John (1991-95), Prof. C.L. Jose (1995-98), Prof. P.J. Thomas (1998-99), Prof. C.K. John (1999-2010) Prof. Tony Jacob (2011-2014) and Prof.Jacob Abraham Pulical (2014-2016). Altogether 17 teachers have worked in this Department at various periods. Rev. Fr. Ignasi Muthu, S.J., former Vice Chancellor of the Bharatiyar and Madras Universities inaugurated the National Seminar got up on the occasion of sending up of fiftieth batch of B.Sc Botany (Main) students which was held on 23-02-2010. National seminars NSBC (2014 March 5,6,7) and ETHT (2015 October 7,8,9 )were also organised. On 2014 November 22, through U O No 10948/2014/Admn, Department became Research Centre under Calicut University.65th year of establishment of the department ‘Floriana ‘ was also celebrated on 14th February 2016. Alumni of the department organised a National seminar ‘ Kakhikullile Sasthralokam’ on 12-12-2015. At present the Department provides 12 seats for M.Sc. course . The Department also provides a well-equipped laboratory to cater to the requirements of both Graduate and Post-Graduate students. From 2015 onwards department is conducting two day National Seminar – Species the Passion, in connection with World Environment Day Celebrations of every year. September 7th and 8th 2016, department organized its first International Seminar on Phytochemistry and Application of Natural Products for Human welfare. World renowned Scientists, Dr. Bharat B. Agarwal (IRI, California, USA), Dr. Farid A. Badria (Mansoura University, Egypt), Dr. Subhash C. Chauhan (U.T, Memphis, USA), Dr. Murali M. Yallapu (CP, Memphis, UA), Dr. Subhash C.
Gupta (B.H.U. Varanasi) and Dr. Ajaikumar B. Kunnumakkara (I.I.T., Guwahati) were presented their papers. The department offers Certificate course in Horticulture for UG and Certificate course in Advanced Phytochemistry & Pharmacognosy for PG students.
1. Dr. M. I. Korath Prize for the best student passing from III B.Sc. Botany
2. Dr. K. R. Venkatasubhan Prize for the best student in M.Sc. Botany from this College.
3. V. J. Paulose Memorial Prize for the best student of the M.Sc. Previous Botany.
4. Mr. C. K. John, HOD, Endowment (from 2010 onwards); instituted by final year B.Sc. thstudents (50 batch, 2007-08) for the best outgoing final year student who scored / th thattained top mark / grade for their B.Sc. Botany final year / V and VI semester examinations and the attendance should also be considered. (The endowment includes
the merit certificate and interest amount of Rs. 5,000/-)
5. Dr. E. Jose Jossie Reader, Endowment (from 2010 onwards); instituted by second year ststudents (51 batch, 2008-2009, year programme last batch) for the best second year rdstudents who scored / attained top mark / grade for their B.Sc. Botany second year / III thand IV semester examinations and the attendance also should be considered (The endowment includes the merit certificate and interest amount of Rs. 5,000/-)
6. Mr. K. M. James, L.S.G., Endowment (from 2010 onwards); instituted by second ndsemester B.Sc. students (52 batch, 2009 – 2010, semester programme first batch) for the best second semester student who scored/attained top mark / grade for their B.Sc. Botany first year / first and second semester examinations and the attendance also should be considered (The endowment includes the merit certificate and interest amount of Rs. 5,000/-)
7. Prof. E. D. Varghese Endowment 2017 (from 2018 onwards) instituted by Dr. E. V. John,
Cardiologist for the top scorer (Mark/Grade) in M.Sc. Botany BO01CT03: Anatomy,
Embryology, Palynology, etc. theory paper (Endowment includes; the merit certificate
and interest amount of Rs. 20,000/-Dated 10-07-2017)
8. Sr. Juliet S. S. Silver Jubilee Endowment 2017, (2018 onwards) instituted by St. John
Maria Vianni Family Unit of Lourde Cathedral for the top scorer (Mark/ Grade) in M.Sc.
Botany BO02CT07: Plant Ecology, Conservation Biology etc theory paper (Endowment include; the merit certificate and interest amount of Rs. 16,000/-Dated 10-07-2017 )
9. Prof. P.J. Abraham Prize instituted by his son Prof. Jacob Abraham Pulikal, to be awarded to the best student passing out from M.Sc. Botany Final Year (Interest amount of Rs. 25,000/- Dated 03-12-2017.
10. Prof. P. J. Abraham Prize instituted by his daughter Mrs. Rosamma Lazar Chandy, to be awarded to a well behaved student with good academic record, passing out from B.Sc. Botany Final Year (Interest amount of Rs. 25,000/- Dated 03-12-2017.