Economics was taught in St. Thomas’ College right from the time it was recognised as a second grade college by Madras University in the year 1919. Chev. Joseph Pettah was the first lecturer and later the first professor of History and Economics at St. Thomas’ College. A fullfledged department which offered B.A. in Economics started in the year 1957. M.A. in Economics was offered from the year 1965. Presently, the Department, elevated as a research department under the University of Calicut, offers Ph.D. in economics, with two research guides, Dr. C.D. Johny and Dr. K.M. Francis. The Department aims at holistic development of individuals with right relationship with people, society and nature. The department is focusing on providing value based education which helps individuals to flower in goodness. The curriculum of the courses offered by the department are state of the art with Econometrics and Mathematical Economics as specialisation papers. There is a paper on Computer Applications for Economics at the graduate level. With this advantage, the students of the Department has been excelling in national level tests and has been securing admission in nationally reputed institutions. The latest seminar organised by the Department was a National Seminar on Informal Sector: Challenges and Way Forward in collaboration with the Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (M.S.M.E.) Development Institute and the Kerala State Higher Education Council, during 13-14 November, 2012. Resource persons in the seminar included Prof. Kunal Sen of the University of Manchester, Dr. A.A. Erumban of Groninghen University, The Netherlands, Dr. Suresh Babu M. of IIT, Madras, Dr. Partha P. Sahu of ISID, New Delhi and Dr. Rajesh Raj S.N. of CMDR, Dharwad. ‘Snehanidhi’ programme started, thereby students, collect an amount by class wise and disburses to poor and needy students. A Quiz programme named, ‘SEEK’ is also introduced on 2013 and students group are actively participating it with competitive spirit.
Programs / Courses Offered
UG- B.A. Economics with Mathematical Tools for Economics and Indian Constitution and politics
PG- M.A. Economics
PhD – Economics
1. Prof. Narayanaswamy Prize for the best student passing out from B.A. Economics.
2. Thottungal Francis Scholarhsip for a poor deserving student from this College joining M.A.. Economics.
3. Rt. Rev. Msgr. Sebastian Chirayath Endowment prize for the best student passing out from M.A. Economics from this College.
4. Hon. Minister (late) Mathai Manjooran Memorial Scholarship sponsored by Mathai Manjooran Jiva Caritra Racana Committee for the student who scores highest mark aggregate in I and II year University Examinations of B.A. (Economics, History & English) and B.Com. students in alternative years.
5. M. U. Ramakrishnan Memorial Endowment for a poor First Year Degree Student of B.A. Economics (Interest of Rs. 25,000/- (Twenty Five Thousand) Dated 09.10.2013