The Degree course in Chemistry was started in 1957, affiliated to the University of Kerala. The Masters programme was introduced in 1961. In 1978, University of Calicut approved the Department of Chemistry and its Laboratory as a recognised Research Centre. Since 2013, Post Graduate Diploma course in Industrial Catalysis and Sustainable Chemistry under the innovative programme sponsored by UGC is also being offered to those who have passed M.Sc. in Chemistry. The Department is proud of its prestigious alumni which includes Padmasree Awardee and Recipient of Shanthi Swaroop Bhatnagar Award Prof. E. D. Jemmis, Former Director, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Thriruvananthapuram, Prof. Dr. T. Pradeep, Faculty at Indian Institute of Technology Chennai and Prof. Jaya Krishnan, former Vice Chancellor of Kerala University. From its inception the Department has maintained excellent academic record and is highly acclaimed for the performance of its students and teachers alike. Our post graduate students have consistently been among the top university rank holders. The faculty of chemistry has not only given emphasis to academic excellence but has also taken initiatives such as JAM, GATE and UGC-NET coaching to promote students to pursue higher education. Special attention is given to weak students by providing remedial coaching. In 2016, Dr. Joby Thomas K. was awarded INSA award for the best teacher and in 2015 he was awarded the M. M. Ghani Award for the Best Teacher in the University of Calicut. Since 2016, Dr. Joshy C. L. is a member of Technical support group of RUSA, Govt. of Kerala. Apart from the academic activities, the Department is also keenly involved in research and extension activities. The department has 6 Research guides and has more than 100 publications in National and International journals to its credit. Our former faculty member, Prof. C. Ravindranath is the present Education Minister of Kerala state. The department offers Certificate course in Industrial Chemistry for UG and Certificate course in Catalysis & Green Chemistry for PG students.
Programs / Courses Offered
B. Sc. Chemistry
M. Sc. Chemistry
1. Dharmodayam Company Prize for the best student passing out from M.Sc. Chemistry.
2. Prof. E. P. Joseph Endowment Prize to a student each from I, II and III B.Sc. Chemistry Main from Chemistry Department
3. Prof. Varghese Pullokaran Memoral Scholarship instituted by Mrs. Annie Varghese, W/o. late Varghese C. Pullokaran to the student who stands first in the I and II year (combined) B.Sc. Chemistry main.
4. Prof. K. P. Antony Memorial Endowment Prize instituted by his student, Prof. T. Pradeep of the I.I.T., Chennai, for the IV Semester M.Sc. Chemistry student who scores the highest aggregate marks in the first, second and third Semester University Examinations.
5. Dr. Simon Porathur Endowment instituted by Dr. Simon Porathur, who was a former student of B.Sc. Chemistry, for the top scorer of B.Sc. Chemistry.
6. Dr. Simon Porathur Scholarships for three poor but bright students from first, second and third year respectively of B.Sc. Chemistry. The amount of the Scholarships will be disbursed in two equal instalments.
7. T. R. Nedungadi Memorial Endowment Scholarship instituted by his children Mrs. Vasantha Surendranath and Mr. C. Mohandas for academically bright & economically backward student of I B.Sc. Chemistry continuing upto the final year (Deposit amount: Rs. 50000/-).
8. T. R. Nedungadi Memorial Endowment Scholarship instituted by his children Mrs. Vasantha Surendranath and Mr. C. Mohandas for academically bright & economically backward student of 1st Semester MSc Chemistry continuing upto the 4th Semester (Deposit amount: Rs. 50000/-.
9. Prof. K. P. Antony Memorial Scholarship instituted by his wife Mrs. Achamma Antony and family to the top scorer in B.Sc. Final Chemistry.
10. Prof. K. P. Antony Memorial Scholarship instituted by his wife Mrs. Achamma Antony and family to the top scorer in M.Sc. Chemistry Final.
11. Prof. K. P. Antony Memorial Scholarship instituted by Varghese P. Kodenkandath for the best student admitted for M.Sc. from the final B.Sc. Chemistry batch of St. Thomas’ College, Thrissur.
12. Prof. V. Achuthan Memorial Scholarship for B.Sc. (Chemistry main only) Top scorer, instituted by his wife Mrs. Ganga Achuthan & Son Mr. Ramesh.
13. Prof. Ittyerah Joseph Memorial Endowment prize, instituted by his student Prof. P. Sivadas, Retd. Prof. of Chemistry, St. Thomas’ College, TCR) to the top scorer of B.Sc. Chemistry Programme every year (Interest amount of Rs.25000/- dated 30-04-2011 and Rs.5000/-dated 26-04-2016)
14. Prof. K. P. Antony Memorial Scholarship instituted by Prof. P. Sivadas to the top scorer in the I & II Semester M.Sc Chemistry together. (Deposit Amount :Rs.20000/- dated 26.04.2016)
15. Prof. Jose Mechery Memorial Best paper Prize instituted by Prof. P. Sivadas ,to the student or faculty in the Chemistry Dept, who publish research article with the College address, in peer reviewed journals with high impact factor (Deposit Amount :Rs.15000/ dated 26.04.2016 )
16. Prof. E. P. Joseph Memorial Scholarship instituted by Prof. P. Sivadas, to the student who stands first in the I,II, III & IV semester B.Sc Chemistry Programme (including all courses /papers) (Deposit Amount: Rs.15000/- dated 26.04.2016 )
17. Prof. K. V. Thomas Memorial Scholarship,instituted by Prof. P. Sivadas, to the student who stands first the I & II semester B.Sc Chemistry Programme (including all courses /papers) (Deposit Amount: Rs.10000/- dated 26.04.2016)
18. Prof. V. Achuthan Memorial Scholarship, instituted by Prof. P. Sivadas ,to the student who stands first in the Core /Main in B.Sc Chemistry Programme (Deposit Amount: Rs.10000/- dated 26.04.2016)
19. Prof. Jose Mechery Memorial Lecture to be conducted every year, instituted by his family, in honour of Prof. Jose Mechery who served the department of Chemistry of College for 26 years (Deposit Amount: Rs.90000/- dated 26.04.2016 )
20. Prof. Jose Mechery Best Research Scholar Prize (Chemistry ) instituted by his family (Deposit Amount :Rs.10000/- dated 26.04.2016)
21. Dr. C. V. Krishnan Research Fellowship to the full time research scholar in chemistry ,who doesn’t avail any other fellowship/Scholarships/Grants etc; from any funding agencies; for a period of 3 years from 2016 onwards (Deposit Amount :Rs.108000/- dated 25.04.2016)