B.A. Course in Mathematics under Madras University was started in June 1926. It was then converted to B.Sc. Degree course in Mathematics under the University of Kerala in June 1957. M.Sc. course was started in June 1964. The Special B.Sc. Degree Course in Mathematics was started in June 1966 and was discontinued in 1970. The combined Department of Mathamatics and Statistics was bifurcated in 1984, with the introduction of M.Sc. in Statistics. Late Prof. V. Subbaraman was the first Head of the Department of Mathematics. Rev. Fr. (Dr.) Thomas Moothedan D.D., the noted Biblical scholar and translator of the first authorised version of the Catholic edition of the Bible in Malayalam, was a member of the Department and later became the Principal of the College from 1961 to 1971. Noted mathematician Shri. V. K. Krishnan Ph.D., whose Functional Analysis and Fundamentals of Real Analysis have been published respectively by the Prentice-Hall and Pearson Education, was a member of the Department. Eminent teachers like K. M. Antony, A.T. Antony, K.V. Ignatious, V.R. Krishna Chandran (an authority on the traditional Kerala theatre and whose Purusarthakuthu is published by the Kerala Sahitya Academy),C. Balakrishnan, K. Achutha Warrier, S.Jayaram, Alosius Boustine, K. M. Thomas, Thomas K. Kuruvila, E.K. Jose, C.D. Paul, M.D. Paul, T.P. Jose, M.D. Varghese, P. L. Antony and C. I. Thomas served the Department. Dr.Thomas Moothedan memorial endowed lecture is conducted on applied mathematics from 2013 onwards. Mathematics Students Journal Math-Wissen is being published by M.Sc Students from 2013. Department organizes state level Math-Puzzle Quiz competitions every year in memory of Prof. M. D. Paul, who died in service on 27-4- 2012. Dr. P .L. Antony was the first controller of examinations and was a vice principal of the college. The Department was recognised as a Research Centre by the University of Calicut on 26th march 2015.The department offers Certificate course in Programming with PYTHON for UG and Certificate course in MATLAB for PG students.
Programs / Courses Offered
B.Sc. Mathematics Sub Statistics and Physics
B.Sc. Mathematics Sub Statistics and Computer Application
Ph.D in Mathematics
1. Prof. P. V. Subbaraman Scholarship to the best student of B.Sc. Mathematics joining M.Sc. here and is not the recipient of any other scholarships. (Rs. 500)
2. P. T. Devassy Memorial Prize for the best student passing out from M.Sc. Mathematics (Rs. 1000)
3. Msgr. Thomas Moothedan Scholarship for a deserving student of the M.Sc. previous Mathematics (Rs. 500)
4. Cardinal Gracias Scholarship for a poor deserving student of M.A. English or M.Sc. Mathematics. (Rs. 500)
5. Msgr. Thomas Moothedan Memorial lecture series Endowment for conducting yearly lecturers in applied Mathematics instituted by a former teacher on 03-03-2012 who love and respects Fr. Moothedan [Rs. 1,00,000 (One Lakh only)].
6. Prof. Subbaraman Endowment by Dr. Ramankutty Menon to be awarded as monthly stipend of Rs. 1000 (one thousand only) tenable for the 24 months of the M.Sc. courset o the St. Thomas’ College BSc Maths (Main) student who secures the highest total marks/grade excluding languages and who immediately pursures a two year M.Sc. course in an accredited college/University in Kerala/Tamil Nadu or Karnataka. Deposited amount Rs. 2,50,000 (Two lakhs fifty thousand only) dated 18-07-2012.
7. Prof. M. D. Paul Memorial Endowment Prize for the Mathematics Yearly Quiz Competition instituted by Mrs. Annie Paul (Interest Amount of Rs. 50,000/-dated 07.11.2013)
8. Endowment instituted by Dr. P. L. Antony to conduct Prof. M.D. Paul Memorial Mathematics Yearly Quiz Competition [Interest Amount of Rs.25,000/- (Twenty Five Thousand Only) dated 07.11.2013]
9. Mr. Shino David & Mr. Nandakumar P, Endowment constituted by St. Thomas College thB.Sc. Mathematics B Batch students of 1993 pass out, for two deserving students of 5 Semester B.Sc. Mathematics one from A batch and one from B batch. (interest amount of Rs. 65,000/- dated 18.02.2019.