Phone : 0487 2421909
Physics-the science of natural laws and energy-was started in 1922 within three years of the establishment of the College. Prof. S. Rama Iyer was the Head of the Department from 1922 to 1950. In 1951 B. A. Degree in Physics (later on changed to BSc) was started with affiliation to Madras University. Rev. Fr. Joseph Kallingal, who was the Head of the Department from 1950 to 1960 was also the Principal of the College for the same period. In 1961 MSc Physics (of Kerala University) was started which was a rare and dear course in those days (one among four colleges in Kerala then). It was with the guidance and vast experience of Prof. V.S. Ramanujam-retired Professor from Presidency College, Madras-that the P.G. course was nurtured into its full bloom. .In the Science and Arts Exhibition held in connection with the Golden Jubilee of the College in 1969, the Department installed a radio station with the name "Voice of St. Thomas", which was available within a radius of 8 kilometres. The programme was organized and monitored by Rev. Fr. Abraham Vadassery M.Sc. (Detroit) who was also the Head of the Department from 1960-'70. From 1970 to 1981 the Department was led by Prof. K.S. Sitaraman. From 1981 to 1985 Rev. Fr. Nicholas Anthikkad was the Head of the Department who was also the Principal of the College between 1971 and 1978. He was followed by Professors M.K. Menon, T. K. Natarajan, T.K. Devanarayanan, K.J. Chacko, M.C. Jose, M.K. Padmanabhan who was also a member of the Senate, University of Calicut , P.P. George, U A Rapheal, C J Babu and K.M. Paul. The Eminent Scientist E.C.G. Sudersen visited the dept. twice . Prof P C Thomas and Prof. Jayaram N.R., the pioneer of entrance coaching for professional courses were also the members of the faculty. Mr. Kochouseph Chittilappilly, CEO of V- Guard group, L Kuriakose Rtd. Income Tax Commissioner, were our old students. The Department has a very good 'Home Library' and a well-equipped laboratory with independent computer and internet facilities. We have a UGC aided workshop. It has also done well in research field by publishing papers in international journals. At present the department is conducting 2 projects, sponsored by UGC.