Department of Physics was started in 1922 within three years of the establishment of the College. Prof. S. Rama Iyer was the Head of the Department from 1922 to 1950. In 1951 B. A. Degree in Physics (later on changed to B.Sc.) was started with affiliation to Madras University. Rev. Fr. Joseph Kallingal, who was the Head of the Department from 1950 to 1960 was also the Principal of the College for the same period. In 1961 M.Sc. Physics (of Kerala University) was started which was a rare and dear course in those days (one among four colleges in Kerala then). It was with the guidance and vast experience of Prof. V.S. Ramanujam—retired Professor from Presidency College, Madras—that the P.G. course was nurtured into its full bloom. In the Science and Arts Exhibition held in connection with the Golden Jubilee of the College in 1969, the Department installed a radio station with the name “Voice of St. Thomas”, which was available within a radius of 8 kilometres. The programme was organized and monitored by Rev. Fr. Abraham Vadassery M.Sc. (Detroit) who was also the Head of the Department from 1960-’70. From 1970 to 1981 the Department was led by Prof. K.S. Seetharaman. From 1981 to 1985 Rev. Fr. Nicholas Anthikkad was the Head of the Department who was also the Principal of the College between 1971 and 1978. He was followed by Professors M.K. Menon,T.K. Natarajan, T.K. Devanarayanan, K.J. Chacko, M.C. Jose and M.K. Padmanabhan who was also a member of the Senate, University of Calicut, P.P. George, U.A. Raphel, C.J. Babu, K.M. Paul, K.T. Varghese, C.K. Xavier and C. A. Inasu. The Eminent scientist E.C.G. Sudarshan visited the department twice. Prof. P.C. Thomas and Prof. Jayaram N.R., the pioneers of entrance coaching for professional courses were also the members of the faculty. Mr. Kochouseph Chitillapilly, CEO of V-Guard group and L. Kuriakose, Retd. Income Tax Commissioner, were our old students. The Department has a very good “Home Library” and a well-equipped laboratory with independent computer & internet facilities. We have a UGC aided workshop. ISRO chairman Dr. K Radhakrishnan was the chief guest of the celebration of Golden Jubilee of MSc Physics & Diamond Jubilee of BSc Physics on 27 .07. 2010.The department offers Certificate course in Nano Science & Technology for UG students.
Department Contact No.: 0487 2421909
|Year of Establishment||1922|
|Names of Programmes/ Courses offered (UG, PG, M.Phil., Ph.D., Integrated Masters; Integrated Ph.D., etc.)||BSc PhysicsMSc Physics|
|Names of Interdisciplinary courses and the departments/ units involved||Open Course – ‘Non-Conventional Energy Sources’|
|Annual/ semester/ choice based credit system (programme wise)||BSc Physics - Semester/choice based credit systemMSc Physics- Semester/choice based credit system|
|Participation of the department in the courses offered by other departments||Open courses – Chemistry, Mathematics, Electronics, Statistics, Commerce, Visual Communication, English, Computer Science|